Tuesday, June 16, 2009

CG overdrive Day 1

Today is the first day and my first time at CG Overdrive. I'm extremely happy because this is the first time in my life that I have so many people around me who loves and have passion in art. I gain lots of motivation just being around these people.

Today's talk was about education in arts/designs and also a new software called Fractured (still in production).

The first speaker was Alex Alvarez (founder of Gnomon). He talks about his experience of being an artist and setting up a school which trains artist/designers. It was a very motivating talk as he told us how difficult it was during his time when he was trying to get into this industry. He also mentioned about the education system in US (maybe even the world) is killing creativity.

It reminds me of Sir Ken Robinson (Alvarez also mentioned about him during the talk). He is an internationally recognized leader in the development of innovation and human resources. His view about "School killing creativity" is very true and I totally agree with him. You can visit the video link here and you will know what I mean. Alvarez also said that when he was young, he was not really good in studies and dropped out of school. In addition, he wasted a few years in art schools in US which does not teach him what he wants. However, he still managed to get a job as an intern in some company (can't remember which one) and he build his career from there and soon founded Gnomon. He told us that there are students who are in their 60s and wanted to change his career as an artist. After graduating from Gnomon, the student became a Art supervisor. I find that this is very encouraging as age is not a problem who has a passion in Art. If you want it, you can do it. Of course, the earlier the better.

The second speaker was Kevin Mannens (Senior Technical Director of Sony Pictures). He is developing a software called "Fractured" which endable us to create the animation of demolishing buildings, exploding walls and breaking glass with just a few click. This is simpily amazing as it will cut down massvie amount of time for animators to animate every single piece of fragments which falls out from the collision. Although it was a very techinal talk and most of us could not understand, I am much more fortunate as I have been through some training which is kinda related to what Mannens was talking about.

Overall, it was a great day for me. Ready for day 2!!! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment