Saturday, June 20, 2009

CG overdrive day 4 & Video Games Live!

It was the last day of CG overdrive and the first speaker of the day was Mike Seymour, CG Supervisor of LucasFilm. He was talking about how is the workflow for producing a film and showed us some of the technique we can use. He also talked about the RED (brand name) camera that he was using and how it works. After hearing his talk, I find that it is actually quite fun to involve in film production and also doing a lot of problem solving which involves camera shots.

Finally, the last speaker was Norihiko Hibino, President of GEM impact. At first I was not really interested in what he was going to present, why? And that was because he was going to talk about sound effect. I’m an artist; everything I care about is visual. BUT I was wrong! Very wrong! I don’t really understand what he was talking about at the beginning but after he played the theme song of Ninja Blade and demonstrated how to create sound, I was hooked. Working with sound is similar to working with graphics. You need many combinations of different sound to create layers and to come out with something realistic and full of impact. In Photoshop, we create graphic with different layers and sound is the same, they use lots of layers to create a sound effect. When we draw, we need to draw out the FMB (Fore, mid and background) and the producing sound is the same. You need to create a feel of difference in distance and also feel the depth. At the end of the session, he was the one who gets the most questions from the audience and this shows that people are not only in graphic but also into sound production.

That’s all for CG overdrive 2009 and I was very pleased that I’m able to understand more on the CG entertainment industry.

The day has not ended yet! There was still Video Games Live at night!

Video Games Live was the best concert I’ve ever been to in my entire life! It was the concert that I shouted the most! I looked like some girl fans shouting for their handsome idol on the stage! The concert began with a chase scene of pacman and the ghost which was quite funny and followed by music of super nintendo’s games which includes Super Mario, Donkey kong, Gradious, Outrun and Tetris! OMG! It brought back so much of my memories! I just kept shouting whenever I saw some great games that I played before!

There was many more sound track of famous games such as, Metal Gear Solid Series, Halo, Warcraft, Sonic the Hedgedog, Mario Brothers, Crono Trigger/Cross, Legend of Zelda and many more. There was a guy (I forgot his name) who was famous for playing music of Super Mario on a piano BLINDFOLDED! He actually demoed it on the stage and he was amazing! His finger was real fast while playing the piano. His video clip has over 40 millions of download on Youtube.

Of course the best part was the encore! They played one of the best oldies CASTLEVANIA! Also the most wanted song of the entire stadium, FINAL FANTANY 7, ONE WINGED ANGEL!!!!!! Everyone was shouting like crazy! I was a marvelous night and if they are going to perform again some where near Singapore (maybe KL) I might consider traveling to watch the concert again.

For those who missed it, too bad. You have to wait a little longer for them to get be back again.

2 comments:

  1. First speaker was Mike Seymours la lol~ fxpro , fxguide guy

    So sad i missed vgl :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh really?! haha.. ok i change

    ReplyDelete